Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I'm Going to Hell

Lights up on stage, I’m practicing the piano on an average living room set. The sound of a door bell sounds. I stop playing startled. I go to door and look through peep hole.

Lights up on right corner of stage where two young men in white shirts and ties with backpack on standing at the door. Lights down over guys go as I step away from the door.

I walk upstage; more lights go up to where my brother has been quietly playing video games this whole time.

Me

It's Jehovah witnesses.



Brother

Yeah.



Me

I’m not answering it, are you?



Brother

No.



Me

Chuckling

The piano suddenly stops the moment they ring the door bell, they probably saw me from the window too.



Brother

Busy killing people on-line

Hmm.



I stand a moment before walking back to check the door just as there’s another knock. In a split second decision I open the door.



Guy 1#

Hi there.



Me

Hi.



Guy 1#

Who are?



Me

I look at the audience blue lights go on representing my thoughts.

None of your business, who are you?

I look at back at the door, lights go back to normal.

Samantha.



Guy 1#

I’m Jim. This is Henry.



Me

Nod at Henry in greeting.



Jim

We’re from the Jesus …… Church.



Me

Lights go blue.

Well, thank God you’re not Jehovah Witnesses.



Lights go back to normal.



Jim

And we have a message for you.



Me

Lights go blue again.

Oh boy.



Normal lights.



Henry

We have a ten minute speech that we do with all families we find and it’s just ten minutes, but it could change your life.



Me

Snort.



Henry

Do you think there is a time that we could speak to your entire family?



Me

No, I don’t think so, thanks. You have a good day.



Jim

Thanks bye.



Me

Walking back to brother.

I didn’t do too badly did I?



Brother

You did better than what I would have.



Me

Really.



Brother

Yeah, I almost laughed.



Me

When?



Brother

When you snorted.



Me

I didn’t snort.



Brother

Yeah you did right after he said their message would change your life.



Me

I wasn’t aware of it.



Brother

Yeah, it was funny, I almost laughed out loud.



Me

Well, if I did that badly, I guess I should just mess with their heads and say what I’m thinking, at least then I’ll be entertained. I’m going to hell anyways.



Brother

Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment