Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sanity

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.” Edgar Allan Poe. 

The first time I read the above quote I did not understand what it meant. Now I know exactly what Mr. Poe meant. Upon reflecting the time in which I first read the quote, I was happy. The world made sense to me, even if everything wasn’t right, it made sense. Now that my world has completely turned around, I came to the realization (yesterday in fact) that if I was the one that was crazy and not the entire world, it would be so much easier to accept the world as it was, rather then I and a handful of individuals are sane, and the rest of the people are completely lost. After a quick examination of what insanity and sanity is, which was a rather long one, so I decided against writing it all out, since I figured people of “average intelligence” wouldn’t understand anyways. The conclusion I was brought to after my research was that if sanity is the “normal and acceptable” state of mind that our society accepts, such as the act of paying to watch commercials on TV, deliberately poisoning one’s self with alcohol to fit in is sane…I’d rather be abnormal in my thought process. While this thought doesn’t help me out very much, it does make sense of the quote, which is becoming my motto.
Keeping on subject I figured I’d close with a song I’ve been listening to entirely too much lately: “Psycho” by Puddle of Mudd.


No comments:

Post a Comment