Saturday, June 18, 2011

Writing Parasites

There are real writers, and then…there are phonies. I came to realize that real writers all admit to being a little kooky, and usually we don’t fight it. If we can find a group of us, unless you have an exclusive membership you will enviably get some wannabe writers. There are far too many of those carbon copies out here, all they do is take a popular story and change a few things so that they can’t get sued. Their excuse being that every idea has been already thought of by somebody else, that no one can write a new idea, because everything has already be thought of already in some form, and I don’t really buy that, but okay, I’m not going to argue with it either. Supposing that is true, there people are taking ideas deliberately, and that’s far from writing something then realizing that some parts of your sci-fi story has remarkable similarities to this older fantasy story which you only read after you had written your story. These people are plagiarizers and rip-offs, going to writer’s groups stealing the other writer’s time and ideas when they chose to suggest or help them out. I don’t know if you can pick up on the agitation in my tone of my writing, but it’s because I have had the misfortune of having such a parasite in a writing group I participated in once, and it bothers me.

No comments:

Post a Comment